International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index
International Association of Grand Banks Owners
 FAQHelp   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 My ProfileMy Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Grand Banks Owners FAQ Forum Grand Banks Owners

E-Plex problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic  International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index -> Supplier & Product Feedback

Rod Eakins
POSEIDON
Hastings, Vic, Australia
2009 EU41

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: E-Plex problems Reply with quote

I bought the first Heritage 41EU sold in 2009. This boat was advertised as having E-Plex "state of the art electronics". had two Zeus Pod Drives with joystick control, seemed very luxurious and to me having just retired I was looking forward to owning a superior boat manufactured by the iconic Grand Banks. As the Company's slogan was "because the sea is no place for compromise" and that gave me confidence.

The vessel now has just over 900 hours on the motors and has been regularly serviced and I have completed two trips from Melbourne, Victoria to Queensland as well as numerous local offshore ventures.

Now for the last eleven months it has been sitting idle in my berth. A problem developed in the E-Plex computer that resulted in a complete shutdown of all electrics controlled by it. The original (USA) manufacturer of E-Plex had ceased production and this was later picked up by a Company in the UK. I had previously been in touch with them over earlier issues so called them this time. I was told that my computer was too old to repair and they had a new system several versions later that could do the job. Unfortunately a new programme would have to be written to apply to my boat, something I feared could be quite costly.

A contractor was recommended, I paid for him to fly from UK to Australia but the week he allowed was not enough time so he was due to finish the work via the internet. Now it appears he has abandoned the project, and my boat has a half programmed computer.

I am aware of issues with the E-Plex system, Grand Banks stopped using
this shortly after my boat, but I know it was used by several boat manufacturers in America and wonder how many other boat owners had similar problems.

I am asking if any Forum readers are aware of any situation similar to mine and how it was resolved. I would really appreciate any information that can lead me to getting back on the water
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index -> Supplier & Product Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: