International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index
International Association of Grand Banks Owners
 FAQHelp   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 My ProfileMy Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Grand Banks Owners FAQ Forum Grand Banks Owners

46 Grand Banks Anchor Options

Post new topic   Reply to topic  International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index -> Specifications

TJB
Avalon
Noank, CT
1990 46' GB Classic
Supporting Member

Mystic, CT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: 46 Grand Banks Anchor Options Reply with quote

Looking to update our ground tackle this spring including new anchors. We currently have a 66# Bruce as our main anchor with a very old CQR as secondary both on the pulpit. Would like to update our main anchor to a Rocna or Mantus, not sure which yet.

According to the Rocna website their 88lb model will fit but requires removing the Roller for the CQR and going with only one anchor on the pulpit. I think I'm okay with only one anchor on the pulpit as over the last 5 years and 100's of nights at anchor we've yet to need the second anchor. Plan would be to keep a Fortress FX-37 in the Lazarette ready to deploy if needed.

Does anyone have any experience or feedback on fitting roll-bar style anchors on a GB 46?

Also any thoughts on going from 2 anchors on the pulpit to 1 larger anchor?
Arch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a 46' GB. What size and type of chain rode do you have and how long is it? Why is it necessary to remove the roller?
TJB
Avalon
Noank, CT
1990 46' GB Classic
Supporting Member

Mystic, CT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Roll-bar Conflict Reply with quote

We carry 275' of 3/8" chain

In order to fit the Rocna 88lb the port side roller on the pulpit must be removed because the Rocna roll-bar protrudes above the pulpit and would hit the roller. These changes to the pulpit are from the Rocna site where they detail the installation of a Rocna 88lb on a GB46.
TJB
Avalon
Noank, CT
1990 46' GB Classic
Supporting Member

Mystic, CT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Rocna 73 Reply with quote

Based on feedback from another member and 46 owner the 73lb Rocna fits pulpit without removing port anchor roller. Great news!
gsanchez
Halcyon
Mahón, Menorca, Spain
1973 GB50
Supporting Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: 46 Grand Banks Anchor Options Reply with quote

TJB wrote:
Does anyone have any experience or feedback on fitting roll-bar style anchors on a GB 46?

I have a Rocna 88 lb. on my GB50. It fits well in the pulpit.

Arch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from Rocna' website specific to the 46' Grand Banks.
http://kb.rocna.com/kb/Grand_Banks_46
JP

Supporting Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJB--Did you have any significant difficulties while anchoring with the 66# Bruce?
TJB
Avalon
Noank, CT
1990 46' GB Classic
Supporting Member

Mystic, CT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Bruce 66# Reply with quote

Hi JP,

I wouldn't say we had significant difficulties. Usually set and held well in normal weather but did have some reset issues with changing tide and current. Since we like to anchor I think moving to one of the newer designed anchors in a larger size will just give us an added measure of safety in situations when the weather turns bad.

Others I've talked with who made the switch from a Bruce to Rocna or Mantus all said they were happy with the change and would recommend it to others. However, most up sized the anchor at the same time so who knows if its improved design or additional weight that made the difference. Likely a combination of both.

Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index -> Specifications All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: