International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index
International Association of Grand Banks Owners
 FAQHelp   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 My ProfileMy Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Grand Banks Owners FAQ Forum Grand Banks Owners

Does anybody know what this is?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic  International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index -> Specifications

Windrode
Windrode
Stockholm, Sweden
1978 Grand Banks 32 Sedan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Does anybody know what this is? Reply with quote

I have small water ingress at the marked point. This is under the floorboard in the forward bilge. I have no clue as to what the thing is. At the top it's 8mm in diameter.
Does anybody know what it is?

Tanks for your help.
bill.read
Pea Pod
Clinton, WA
1987 36 Classic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has a couple of terminals or connecting points, it may be a water temperature sensor.
Windrode
Windrode
Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill.read wrote:
If it has a couple of terminals or connecting points, it may be a water temperature sensor.

It haven't got any connecting points, sadly Sad But thank you for your guess! It's a tube of some kind with threads on the outside and two nuts screwed on. The water is slowly dripping from the top of the "tube".
I'm putting a hose on it and clamping it tomorrow but I would really like to know where it leads and where the water is coming from.
JoMeKe
JoMeKe
Seattle, WA, USA
1988 GB 42CL #1042
Supporting Member

Seattle, WA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What model boat do you have? Exactly where is the tube?—centerline above the keel? off to the side?
Windrode
Windrode
Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 1978 GB32. You can see the automatic bilge pump in the top left corner of the picture witch sits in the center, so the tube is about 10cm to port of the centerline. It's in bilge between the two main "stringers"? Under the stairs to the forward cabin, just forward of the engine room bulkhead.

As I understand this is the normal place for the bilge pumps as it's in the lowest part of the bilge.
bill.read
Pea Pod
Clinton, WA
1987 36 Classic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you describe the metallic portion above the black rubber/plastic section? The location seems to indicate a sensor of some type.
Windrode
Windrode
Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill.read wrote:
Can you describe the metallic portion above the black rubber/plastic section? The location seems to indicate a sensor of some type.

The rubber is a rubber cap with a hole in the top that sits on top of the tube. The cap is removable and the tube is 8mm in diameter and about 8mm long. The top 10mm is not threaded, the rest is threaded to the bottom where it's about 2cm in diameter before it goes in the hull.
bill.read
Pea Pod
Clinton, WA
1987 36 Classic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking through the GB32 specifications, it may be a Bilge Stand Pipe. This is shown in the 1971 - 1975 drawing in the specifications. As you will see it is shown as being installed in the engine room. May be someone in the forum can describe its purpose.
Go to this web site and download the specs for viewing:

https://www.grandbanks.com/discovery/ownership/retiredmodels/retired.cfm?mid=32se
Windrode
Windrode
Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I would love to know the purpose of the Bilge stand pipe. I have one on mine as well, it's located under the shaft so it's not that either Sad
But I really appreciate your help in trying to figure out what this thing is!
bill.read
Pea Pod
Clinton, WA
1987 36 Classic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been described in the grandbanksowners.org forum. Below is a part of the discussion:

Somewhere after the 32's started production but before my boat was built (1977), GB was getting reports from cold-climate owners of water freezing in the then-hollow keels and freezing, resulting in some cases of cracked keels. So, they added this pipe so that owners could keep any water pumped out of the keel. He guessed that, at least in my case, the most likely source was the fitting around the shaft tube as it penetrates the keel just forward of the prop. This confirms my suspicion about the source of the water and also indicates that GB at least accepted, if not anticipated, that there might be water entering the keels. He suggested that, if our boat has the flat plate with 4 bolts at the shaft exit, then it should be just a matter of removing that plate and re-bedding it next time we haul out.

So it looks as if may be experiencing water intrusion into the keel and the leak from the top indicating the keel is full. Let us know what you find.
dblades
Polar Star
Oak Bay, Victoria, BC
1977 GB 32 Sedan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: I know what this is! Reply with quote

Hi, Everyone

We have this in our GB 32 as well--it is, as posts have explained, for pumping out any water that might migrate into the keel. I check every year and except for the first year owning Polar Star, we have never found any water at all! What I do is unscrew the cap and insert a clear tube (plastic) attached to a hand pump; but so far (after 5 years) it's been dry--nice to check, though.

David

GB 32 Polar Star #595
Windrode
Windrode
Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I know what this is! Reply with quote

dblades wrote:
Hi, Everyone

We have this in our GB 32 as well--it is, as posts have explained, for pumping out any water that might migrate into the keel. I check every year and except for the first year owning Polar Star, we have never found any water at all! What I do is unscrew the cap and insert a clear tube (plastic) attached to a hand pump; but so far (after 5 years) it's been dry--nice to check, though.

David

HI David,

Do you mean the Bilge Stand Pipe or the "unknown pipe" in the picture above?

I'm going to check if I have water in the keel tomorrow and if there is I'll try and pump it out through the Bilge Stand Pipe and see if the drip from the "unknown pipe" stops.
dblades
Polar Star
Oak Bay, Victoria, BC
1977 GB 32 Sedan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: unknown pipe Reply with quote

I think that's it the same as ours--the "unknown" is a pipe that goes into the keel--but your location is odd; ours is under the shaft. Well, worth trying to see if the top unscrews I guess! Good luck,

David

GB 32 Polar Star #595
Windrode
Windrode
Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the keel for water today thru the Bilge Stand Pipe in the enginge room and pumped out around 30 liters of old rusty and smelly water. The tube/pipe in the forward bilge kept on leaking. We have the boat docked in fresh water and the water coming in from the tube/pipe is fresh and not brown or smelly, so I'm guessing it leads outside the hull.

I put a hose on it and double clamped it.
Took a new and batter picture of it.
bill.read
Pea Pod
Clinton, WA
1987 36 Classic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thru hull passage below the waterline would be a seacock or ball valve arrangement. Keel construction of some boats show a partition which creates two compartments. You may still be dealing with a keel issue that can not be determined until your next haul out. I don't believe that clamping the "mystery pipe" will solve the real problem, only masking it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index -> Specifications All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: