International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index
International Association of Grand Banks Owners
 FAQHelp   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 My ProfileMy Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Grand Banks Owners FAQ Forum Grand Banks Owners

Planning Irons

Post new topic   Reply to topic  International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index -> Supplier & Product Feedback

grich737

Supporting Member

coeurdalene ID USA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Planning Irons Reply with quote

I have a number of hand plans that I use on a regular basis and also wood chisels. One of the problems is keeping them sharp and honing them by hand is an art and very time consuming. I just purchase a work sharp 3000 here is a link
http://www.worksharptools.com/knife/sharpeners.html?source[]=bing&source[]=BrandedCampaign&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc

I paid 189 and without a doubt this is a very good product for plane irons and chisels. It takes about 2 min to sharpen a bad iron. An I mean one that has gouges in it. I bought a very old trim iron a few months ago and use the work sharp to bring it back like new. I thought I would share if anyone is interested in a new toy for the shop IMHO well worth the money. One other thing is that you can put a micro bevel on your irons in just one or two passes Greg
GB42-267
DEBBIE-M
KINGSTON, WA
# 267, 1972 42-CLASSIC
Supporting Member

Poulsbo, WA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these a year ago and I'm very happy with it. I got an extra glass plate so I have two additional stages of different grit to choose from. It is easy to use, quick to change discs, excellent and consistent results when sharpening wood chisels.
It takes a light hand and some practice to get a consistent edge when sharpening knifes, but after some use I got excellent results. I use a buffer wheel with jewelers rouge after I've used the sharpener to get a polished edge and to remove any burrs. In short, I agree with Greg, highly recommended if you do a lot of sharpening and need a consistent edge.

grich737

Supporting Member

coeurdalene ID USA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came with two glass plates with 220, 400, 1000, 4000 grit . I have to agree the plates are easy to change over and I like how the whole system works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index -> Supplier & Product Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: