International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index
International Association of Grand Banks Owners
 FAQHelp   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 My ProfileMy Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Grand Banks Owners FAQ Forum Grand Banks Owners

Auto pilot
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic  International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index -> Specifications

Bob Lowe
DREAMER
Oak Harbor WA
45' Alaskan 1974
Supporting Member

Mexico

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are experiencing the problem with the drive shaft system, excessive U-joint wear and maybe a bit of gear wear. I suggest you rebuild your U-joints before a failure, check the gears and lube all well.

The more play, the faster the wear on the U-joints, especially with an A/P. Smile

grich737

Supporting Member

coeurdalene ID USA

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob
John Caples
Xanadu
Olympia

Supporting Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few photos of how my linear drive is attached.

John Caples
Bob Lowe
DREAMER
Oak Harbor WA
45' Alaskan 1974
Supporting Member

Mexico

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that installation. Looks very clean and stout. good job. Smile
jim grigg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: auto pilot Reply with quote

Thanks Keijo and John for the pics. I can see that the quadrant set-up on the 42' is quite a bit different than on my 32'. Keijo, did the arm on your rudder post that the ram attaches to come with the Raymarine A.P. or was that a separate part? It looks exactly like what I need. I have a Raymarine chartplotter and g.p.s. so there shouldn't be any compatability issues.
Marin Faure
La Pérouse
Bellingham, WA
1973 GB36-403 (GRP)
Supporting Member

Sammamish, Washington USA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob- Just curious... What is your opinion about back-driving an older GB's cable-chain steering system with a hydraulic ram in the lazarette? I know a lot of people do this, but having pushed our steering arms to one side when working in the lazarette, I know there is a lot of resistance there as you're in essence forcing the steering ratio the "wrong way."

Our boat had an inoperative Benmar autopilot when we bought it with the control box hanging down in the engine room driving the helm via a chain to the wheel. This system drives the ratio the "right way."

We removed the autopilot for several reasons, and while we've never found ourselves wanting one, I've thought about it from time to time. The couple of autopilot installers I've talked to over the years cautioned against back-driving the GB's cable-chain steering with a lazarette ram and instead recommended a system that turned the helm wheel.

This makes total sense to me, but with all the experience you've had with all the systems used on GB's I'd be interested in hearing what you've found to be the best way to drive a cable-chain steering system with an autopilot.

Keijo Isomaa
HAVEN
Sidney BC Canada
1966 GB32-17

Sidney BC Canada

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, that was on the boat when we bought her so I don't how the parts came. I just know it works very well.

As both our boats are 32's I can send you more detailed photos if you like.

1966 Grand Banks 32 #17
Bob Lowe
DREAMER
Oak Harbor WA
45' Alaskan 1974
Supporting Member

Mexico

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marin Faure wrote:
Bob- Just curious... What is your opinion about back-driving an older GB's cable-chain steering system with a hydraulic ram in the lazarette? I know a lot of people do this, but having pushed our steering arms to one side when working in the lazarette, I know there is a lot of resistance there as you're in essence forcing the steering ratio the "wrong way."

As I have posted here before, It is not my favorite way to drive the steering system with an A/P. I have seen several failures, two catastrophic, meaning, things got so jammed up in the lazaret that they simply could not steer the boat in any way, even with the emergency tiller, until the cables were cut. Most boats don't carry cutters capable of cutting 1/4" SS cable, although a hacksaw could do it, slowly and awkwardly without proper tools to hold the cable securely.

The problem each time was failure at the corner blocks in the lazaret, either pulling the blocks loose or the wheel failed and jammed the cable or the cable frayed and jammed things up and even pulled the block loose, fasteners and all.

If I had a linear drive, I would make sure I had an adequate cutter onboard. And not just a small one for up to 3/16 SS cable, but one for 1/4" SS cable. And don't forget that emergency tiller.

BTW, that applies not only to the older woodies but to the fiberglass boats as well, older or newer. Smile

GB36ReefRaider
Reef Raider
Anacortes
1974 classic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: linear autopilot Reply with quote

It would sure seem, if considering the linear autopilot and keeping the steering cables, that it might be worthwhile to go another step and install a 'steer by wire' hydraulic ram. This would eliminate all the cable resistance and cables as well as the post at the lower helm. I haven't done it yet, but it is working its way to the top of my next project list.
Bob Lowe
DREAMER
Oak Harbor WA
45' Alaskan 1974
Supporting Member

Mexico

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you won't know where the rudder is by the position of the King Pin on the wheel. And hard over to hard over would not be 3 turns, probably more like 7~ turns. And you would lose the superior reliability of chain and cable steering.

I would miss all of that greatly. Smile

GB36ReefRaider
Reef Raider
Anacortes
1974 classic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: autopilot Reply with quote

Actually, after 40 yrs the upper helm cable has begun to cut through the metal pinching tubes so an upgrade or repair is on the horizon. Seven turns from lock to lock would be a problem with my single engine maneuvering, but I sure would not miss that pole at the lower helm.
Bob Lowe
DREAMER
Oak Harbor WA
45' Alaskan 1974
Supporting Member

Mexico

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to fit a flared tube at the top to replace the worn tubing. If you cable is fraying in that area, tis best to do it sooner rather than later. I have seen a couple instances of a frayed cable there jamming the whole steering system with resultant problems.

Check the bottom of the tube as well.

I would miss that "post" in a seaway. Smile

GB36ReefRaider
Reef Raider
Anacortes
1974 classic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: autopilot Reply with quote

The easiest, and certainly the least expensive fix will be to remove the upper helm cables. Then weld/repair the two pinching tubes and rotate them a bit. Then reinstall the cables. That will probably last another 40 yrs!
ajordan
Meriwether
Portland, Oregon
1974 GB 42-399 Classic
Supporting Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience using an old Wood Freeman drive with new Raymarine components?
Bob Lowe
DREAMER
Oak Harbor WA
45' Alaskan 1974
Supporting Member

Mexico

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should not present much of a problem.

I suggest you contact Ray marine and see what interface they may have or suggest to control the drive unit with their system.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index -> Specifications All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: