International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index
International Association of Grand Banks Owners
 FAQHelp   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 My ProfileMy Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Grand Banks Owners FAQ Forum Grand Banks Owners

Maritime LicensingóLicensing Consultant in Seattle Area

Post new topic   Reply to topic  International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index -> Supplier & Product Feedback

JoMeKe
JoMeKe
Seattle, WA, USA
1988 GB 42CL #1042
Supporting Member

Seattle, WA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Maritime LicensingóLicensing Consultant in Seattle Area Reply with quote

I recently applied for and received my OUPV ("6-pack") Coast Guard Captain's license. Based on a recommendation from my class instructor and additional high praise from Brian Pemberton at NW Explorations, I hired Maritime Licensing (http://www.maritimelicensing.com/index.html) to act as consultant/facilitator for the process. The owner, operator and chief bottle-washer, Norleen Schumer, is an ex-Coast Guard employee who used to handle applications at the Seattle office before she retired......or so she thought. She charges an hourly rate and can handle just about everything.

I had a pretty good grasp of what needed to be submitted and had it fairly well organized. I gave her Power of Attorney for this purpose and she then handled everything except for the actual submitting of the paperwork. She noted that I had used a recently-outdated medical form (which I would never have realizedóit was current when the doctor filled it out) and that I needed proof of ownership docs for the 2 boats that we owned and that I used in my Sea Time documentation (something else I did not realize). She collates everything in the order that she knows they want to see.

After submission, I received two pieces of correspondence from the CG, one asking for ownership proof on a boat that I never owned and one incorrectly referencing a waiver issue. In both cases, I just forwarded that correspondence to Norleen who immediately contacted the CG to straighten everything out. Had I not had her at my disposal, I probably would have just found a way to give them what they wanted. She greased the skids and handled everything promptly and professionally but forcefully. It was by far the best $80 ($102 including the ferry over and back) I spent in the licensing process and I HIHGLY recommend her to anyone applying for any type of CG license. She works out of her home on the Kitsap Peninsula, neart Port Orchard.

wentwilly
Journey
Homer Alaska
GB 42-155 1970 Classic

Homer,Alaska USA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congradulations! What do you want to be when you grow up? I have eleven months before my fifth renewal. Been working on up grading to 500 ton Oceans for the last year- I will be giving this gal a call. Thanks!
Tagish
Tagish
Seattle, WA
1973 GB 36-391 (GRP)
Supporting Member

Seattle, WA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your achievement! It's a great feeling to finally get through the myriad of paperwork and testing and to finally hold the paper.

I'm working towards my fifth renewal and look back at the time that has flown by and have come to realize that the most rewarding career I've had (and I've had several) has been working in the merchant marine world as a Captain.

Best wishes to you and smooth sailing. Thanks for letting us know about a good and reputable service out there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index -> Supplier & Product Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: