International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index
International Association of Grand Banks Owners
 FAQHelp   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 My ProfileMy Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Grand Banks Owners FAQ Forum Grand Banks Owners

Yard for Bottom Paint

Post new topic   Reply to topic  International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index -> Supplier & Product Feedback

JoMeKe
JoMeKe
Seattle, WA, USA
1988 GB 42CL #1042
Supporting Member

Seattle, WA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Yard for Bottom Paint Reply with quote

Once we have both engines, it will be time (past time) to haul and do the bottom. Anyone have any really good recommendations for a yard in the Seattle area. I'm not looking for the cheapest or fastest but someone who is knowledgeable, will do quality work in a reasonable amount of time and a yard that is mindful of environmental impact. I understand CSR has been experimenting with the StormwateRx runoff filtration system but that they may have not continued with it pending that system's final approval by WA Ecology, but I may be wrong about that. What about Canal Boatyard? Any others?

Thanks

Tagish
Tagish
Seattle, WA
1973 GB 36-391 (GRP)
Supporting Member

Seattle, WA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken

Most of the yards around Seattle are fine, they will most likely do a fine job. With that said, I'm sure you can find folks that will say, "I'll never go to that yard again...." but you go to the next person and they swear they are the best yard they have ever been to. I've been to several over the years and I usually end up back at Dunato's on Lake Union http://www.dunato.com/.

Boats are like family members, I wouldn't send anyone there if I didn't think in the end they would treat you well. I've always found the the folks at Dunato's to be easy to work with and been able to resolve any issues and concerns that arose in a satisfactory manner.

Each person has their own standards and expectations, I seriously recommend visiting yards you are considering and walk around and see what is going on, ask to talk to the folks that will do the work, that way you will get a feel for the skills, knowledge, and abilities.

Funny you should mention environmental considerations. There is a huge fight in the making brought upon five local boat yards by the Puget Soundkeeper Alliance http://www.threesheetsnw.com/blog/archives/8032

I'm all for cleaning up the water and environment but I think the PSA has gone too far and is going to kill the industry with this tactic. Last time I was at the yard I couldn't wax my boat hull without encasing in plastic because they were so fearful about anything getting into the water, even though there was no wind on a calm day. That is just nuts.

JoMeKe
JoMeKe
Seattle, WA, USA
1988 GB 42CL #1042
Supporting Member

Seattle, WA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Jon, I've been keeping up with the fight between PSA and the yards. But I still feel strongly that I can choose to give my business to a yard who takes no precautions and one that is at least trying, whether they meet the PSA'a standards or notóbeing part of the solution rather than part of the problem. I feel the more I can support a reasonable effort, and reward those who are making that effort, the better off the industry, and the Sound, will be. And it is a more productive and positive action, I think, than sending surprise letters of intent to sue.

Thanks for the good words about Dunato's. I'll give them a look.

Keith Morris

Manchester WA

Supporting Member

Manchester, WA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunato's
Jim Thiele
Black Opal
Pleasant Harbor, WA
1973 Classic 36

Portland, OR, USA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had great service at the Ocean Alexander Marine Center at the North end of Lake Union (206-547-1395). In fact, I just hauled out and did bottom paint there in January. They are very professional and accommodating. They have an elevator lift rather than a sling lift which allows them to fully support the keel and evenly load the hull during the haul out. They also have a water collection and treatment system to process the water runoff during their work. I first became aware of this yard when I won a free haul out from them at a Grand Banks Rendezvous. I give them my highest recommendation.
GB42-267
DEBBIE-M
KINGSTON, WA
# 267, 1972 42-CLASSIC
Supporting Member

Poulsbo, WA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the article in the latest issues of 'Northwest Yachting Magazine' regarding the struggle between the different boatyard and PSA taking a shotgun approach to put everyone out of business. It really smells like legal extortion. Shocked It's also another article in one of the other magazines as well, but I can't remember which one. Very interesting reading on a good thing going bad, very baaaaad. Exclamation

Bjorn M
Johnb
Hyacinth
Seattle
1976 42 CL

Seattle, WA USA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delta has a very good yard in the Duwamish. High quality, good prices, on time and will let you with in reason work on you boat without lay day charges. Jeff Doyle 425 273 0230 runs the service yard.
K Dowling
Penny Lane - Retired
Atlanta GA

Supporting Member

Atlanta GA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The folks at Seaview North in Bellingham did a fine job on Penny Lane in 2007. The job held up very well until re done in last November. Seaview has two locations in Seattle. When making your calls ask if there are any specials. Check 48 North, also. A free haul out is pretty common when things are slow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index -> Supplier & Product Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: