International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index
International Association of Grand Banks Owners
 FAQHelp   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 My ProfileMy Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Grand Banks Owners FAQ Forum Grand Banks Owners

GB 32 options available from factory?

Post new topic   Reply to topic  International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index -> Specifications

gb32815
Longevity
San Francisco, Ca
1991 Grand Banks 32

Roseville, Ca

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: GB 32 options available from factory? Reply with quote

Hi All. Just new to the Grand Banks world, and really appreciate this forum.
After extensive searching,we are considering the purchase of a 32 with some interesting differences from all we have observed. One difference is the hand rail is stainless steel terminating into the capping rail abeam the aft part of the house. At that point, the teak capping rail widens to at least twice the width to form the coaming around the cockpit. There is no handrail around the cockpit.
Another difference is minimum exterior teak trim.
Was there a commercial version option of the 32 to be used as a fishing vessel?
Tom Overs
Little Ship
Portavadie Scotland
Supporting Member

England

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Spain recently and came across a 42 that seemed to have the 32 cabin and a large open deck at the rear.

There were several built like this for fishing but that's the only one I've come across. Teak etc was reduced also.

Somebody on here will be along soon with further information.

Good luck with your search.

Tom.

Born to cruise...........once forced to work!
GB42-267
DEBBIE-M
KINGSTON, WA
# 267, 1972 42-CLASSIC
Supporting Member

Poulsbo, WA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AM did indeed have a commercial version of the 32 dubbed "Husky". They also had a 42 commercial model. Go to the following link http://grandbanks.com/discovery/experience/spray/learnmore.cfm and look up spray magazine V7N4 in the archive.
http://grandbanks.com/images/discovery/experience/spray/backissues/spray/amn/v7n4.pdf?CFID=25138256&CFTOKEN=2fc34387f1499e39-2952E70D-C0A8-7473-6B65C505C0EC069B

gb32815
Longevity
San Francisco, Ca
1991 Grand Banks 32

Roseville, Ca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: GB 32 options available from factory? Reply with quote

Thank you Tom & Bjorn for the response and interesting Spray article.
I found the 32 "HUSKY" somewhat parallel in several ways, however the 32 I have found has the conventional fly bridge and house configuration. The "HUSKY" appears to have a noticeably deeper cockpit, and an abbreviated house without the fly bridge. Any GB dealers out there from the late 80's?
Incidentally, going into survey shortly.
Bob Lowe
DREAMER
Oak Harbor WA
45' Alaskan 1974
Supporting Member

Mexico

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very early GB32s had a deeper cockpit and a shorter house.
pjwhite
Woodhouse
Redwood City, CA
1969 Grand Banks 32

San Jose, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1973/Grand-Banks-Trawler-2826879/Coronet-Bay/WA/United-States#.WHVDMtZWZts

This interesting 30 foot boat has been up on Yachtworld for quite a while.
Deep cockpit, shorter house and no lower steering station. And no railings.
Marin Faure
La Pérouse
Bellingham, WA
1973 GB36-403 (GRP)
Supporting Member

Sammamish, Washington USA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This boat in the Yachtworld link has been around this area for years. I recall seeing photos of it on a boating forum back in the 2000s. I think someone saw it in a yard in Oak Harbor and posted photos asking what it was as it looked somwhat like a Grand Banks.

Here is a post I wrote to another forum about this boat with what I had learned about it after seeing an explanation on this forum some years ago. The photos are the ones I saw originally.

This boat generated a bit of a mystery on the Grand Banks owners forum when it was first described. It's wood, and looks like a GB (actually it looks better than a GB in my opinon). It is located in Oak Harbor, WA.

Turns out the story behind it is rather interesting. It is NOT a GB but it was built by one of the Newton sons who with their father Robert started American Marine in Kowloon in 1956. In the early 70s American Marine opened their Singapore yard where some wood boats and all the fiberglass boats were built. The company went bankrupt in 1974 and closed the Kowloon yard the following year. American Marine was subsequently sold to an investment group headed by Robert Livingston.

John Newton wanted to continue to build boats. His brother Whit left the company with no desire to build boats again and went into high-end furniture manufacturing.

John Newton, with Joe Kong, a marine engineer hired by the Newtons not long after they created American Marine, built a few smaller boats in Kowloon based loosely on the GB design. They called this 28' boat model the Polaris. John then moved to Honduras where he could get more land for a boatyard. He tried to get Joe Kong to move there, too, but Joe didn't want to leave and soon partnered with Harvey Halvorsen to create the firm of Kong & Halverson and the boats they built were called Island Gypsies.

In Honduras, John Newton turned out a 28' boat similar (or identical) to the Polaris that was an attempt to get into the sport fishing market.

This is one of those boats. It may have been built in Kowloon under the Polaris name or it may have been built in Honduras.

The boat is undergoing a restoration in Oak Harbor. The current owner is apparently unfamiliar with the boat's history. It has a single four-cylinder FL90 in a box aft of the cabin. The main cabin is lower than the typical GB and there is no lower helm station. There is no forward cabin as in a GB. The cockpit is huge (for fishing). The main cabin has a lower sole than a GB (since the engine's not under it) which gives the boat much more pleasing lines than a GB (in my opinon). The hull has a smooth sheer line rather than the step or dip down in the GB hull.

So while it looks like a "baby" GB it's actually a Newton 28. Very pretty boat in my opinon. It's a design that could scale up very nicely to 36 or even 42 or 46 feet, where the GB "classic" design starts looking pretty clunky in my opinion when it gets over about 46 feet long.

The photos were taken by a member of the GB owners forum in Oak Harbor recently. The history I paraphrased was provided to the GB owners forum by Shing Kong, Joe Kong's son.

Bob Lowe
DREAMER
Oak Harbor WA
45' Alaskan 1974
Supporting Member

Mexico

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some discussion on this boat some years back, perhaps 12 to 15 years ago.

I remember the boat and was on it when still in Oak Harbor. Nice boat, but not a GB32 or as functional or nice, IMHO. Looked to be about the same construction and quality as the GB32.

It sat quite a bit lower in the water as I recall. A smaller boat in all ways than the GB32. Would be a good day boat or fishing boat. An interesting boat! Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index -> Specifications All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: