International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index
International Association of Grand Banks Owners
 FAQHelp   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 My ProfileMy Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Grand Banks Owners FAQ Forum Grand Banks Owners

Friend's question on GB house construction

Post new topic   Reply to topic  International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index -> Specifications

Mahalo Moi
Mahalo Moi
San Francisco, California
1986-42Cl #966
Supporting Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Friend's question on GB house construction Reply with quote

A fellow on another forum asked this question. We tried to have him join this fine group, but I don't think he'll come over! His question, and I quote:

"Surprised that I have to make inquiry. Knowing that the woody hulls had plywood cabins, were they over layed with glass? And then when glass hulls came about, did the construction continue with wood houses glass over layed?
and then were the later,latest newer boats all glass, hull and cabin?"

Bob?

Marin Faure
La Pérouse
Bellingham, WA
1973 GB36-403 (GRP)
Supporting Member

Sammamish, Washington USA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have one of the first batch of fiberglass GBs built. After 18 years of ownership we have come to think of this generation of GBs as wood boats in a fiberglass shell. Smile

The hull is a solid glass layup, of course. The main and flying bridge decks are glass-plywood-glass sandwiches with the teak plank surfaces screwed down onto them. The cabins are fiberglass shell moldings with interior wood bracing and paneling. The fore and aft cabin overheads are fiberglass reinforced with plywood. The flying bridge is a fiberglass molding; from the various holes I've drilled or removed fasteners from there does not seem to be any wood used in the flying bridge shell. The entire interior of the boat-- floors, bulkheads, berths, cabinetry, doors, etc.--- is wood with the exception of the countertop surfaces and the shower pan under the teak shower grate.

Mahalo Moi
Mahalo Moi
San Francisco, California
1986-42Cl #966
Supporting Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Marin. I appreciate your time and will pass this info on. Hope all is well with you!
Bob Lowe
DREAMER
Oak Harbor WA
45' Alaskan 1974
Supporting Member

Mexico

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Marin probably summarized the situation with the fiberglass GBs pretty well. Most "fiberglass" boats use plywood in back of the fiberglass to provide good purchase for fasteners (laminate is not so good for that) and also to provide stiffness.

The GB woodies only used fiberglass & resin for the cabin tops and so did not cover the cabin or other areas with fiberglass & resin.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Association of Grand Banks Owners Forum Index -> Specifications All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: